Regional water supply strategy
Council is responsible through the regional water supply strategy for providing an affordable, secure and environmentally substainable bulk water supply to meet the needs of the Clarence Valley and Coffs Harbour Region.
The population of the Clarence Valley and Coffs Harbour region which will be served by the water supply is expected to more than double in the next 50 years, from 95,000 to approximately 220,000 persons.
The regional water supply strategy ensures the demands on our natural resources are carefully managed to protect our environment and at the same time provide the services to support the people in our developing area. A key feature is to making sure our natural river systems are protected by not taking water out of them during low flows.
The strategy secures a reliable bulk water supply for the region extending from Iluka to Sawtell. It has two key elements: a $180 million bulk water supply project, coupled with a regional water efficiency program. The size of the Shannon Creek storage has been designed with the Water Efficiency Strategy factored in, extending the life of the dam beyond 2046.
Regional Water Supply Project
- 30,000 megalitre Shannon Creek Dam, approximately 9km west of Coutts Crossing.
- 90 km of underground pipelines linking the Nymboida River with the new Shannon Creek Dam, the existing Rushforth Road reservoir at South Grafton and Karangi dam near Coffs Harbour.
Regional Water Efficiency Program
- Extending the life of the dam to at least 2046
- Incentives and pricing policies, common regulatory measures, cooperative regional approach, heightened community awareness which support efficient, environmentally sound water use
- Using a range of cost effective and environmentally appropriate alternative water sources such as recycling water and rainwater tanks.
- Effective and efficient management of water supply systems
The Regional Water Supply strategy has been recognised with numerous Australian and International Awards, including:
- 1998 Royal Australian Planning Institute NSW Award for Excellence - Regional Water Efficiency Strategic Plan
- 2005 Australian Institute of Project Management (AIPM) NSW & National Project Management Achievement Award for Individual Project Manager to Mr Gary Kennedy of NSW Public Works,
- 2006 Federal "National Awards for Local Government" in the Asset Management category,
- 2009 Engineers Australia Newcastle Division Overall "Engineering Excellence Award",
- 2009 Institute of Public Works Engineering Australia "Innovation in Water Supply and Wastewater Award",
- 2009 Australian Water Association NSW Branch "Construction Award"
- 2009 AIPM NSW & National Project Management Achievement Award in Regional Category
- 2010 International Water Association Planning Innovation Award in the Planning Category - Asia Pacific Region