How to apply for a DA

There are three key steps in the process:

1. Plan your project

2. Complete the paperwork

3. Create and submit your application through the NSW Planning Portal.


Whether you’re ready with professionally developed plans at this stage or not, an idea of what you’re aiming to achieve is a perfect starting point.

In the planning phase, you’ll want to think about and collect details such as:

  • The location of the work on your property / in your existing dwelling
  • Its approximate measurements
  • Your budget allocation or an estimate of the total value of your project, so we can give you an accurate quote for your application fee

You may also want to do some initial research, like visiting the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 to get an indication of whether you’ll need a DA.

How to estimate the cost of your development

As part of your application, you will need to provide a realistic estimate of the cost of works so we can calculate your application fees.

Estimates should include the cost of materials, labour and demolition costs and should also include GST.

Estimates must be based on industry recognised prices. If you undervalue your proposal the figure may need to be adjusted and you may have to pay additional application fees.

You can provide a copy of a construction contract, a quote or an estimate from a quantity surveyor.

If you don’t have any of these, you can use an online calculator.

Zoning and Planning Rules

You must check the zoning of your property, and find out what types of development are allowed. It's important to know what development issues are considered before you spend time, effort and money preparing a development application.

The zoning of the property will dictate the circumstances where dwelling/houses may be built on land. 

Use our online mapping tools here

A Section 10.7 planning certificate will also show you what other planning controls apply to your property. These controls need to be considered when preparing your development application because they guide the design of the building and other related issues. 

Special Reports or Studies

Some development applications will require specific reports and studies to be carried out by qualified experts, this can be discussed at a pre lodgement meeting if required.

Take time to review our Conditions and considerations section to see if any of these apply to your development.

Designated and Integrated Development Applications

  • These are highly specialised and complicated applications.

  • In basic terms, a 'Designated development' is one which is of wider state or national significance. Integrated Development is where third party referral to other Government departments is required for special reasons.

If your application is a Designated or Integrated Development, additional information and additional fees may be required. If you believe this may apply, you should have a preliminary assessment meeting with Council before lodging your application.

Complete the paperwork

Here’s where we get down to the detail, but if you’ve had a pre-lodgement meeting you should be feeling confident about what you need to do to complete your Development Application form.

The full suite of documents and forms you'll need are available in our forms library. You'll need: 

  • Detailed project plans

  • The DA form, including owner’s consent

  • A BASIX certificate (if required)

  • A Statement of Environmental Effects

  • Supporting applications such as OSSM, Stormwater and Driveway

  • Other reports as required eg. Bushfire or Flood Assessments 

You can also save time and money by applying for a Construction Certificate at the same time as preparing your DA.