Heritage Assistance Grants
We have an annual fund to assist owners of heritage properties with the costs of conservation and repair works. Successful applicants will be offered up to $2000 per property on a dollar for dollar basis, subject to the funding budget. A minimum of 50% co-contribution is required from the owner, and only one application may be lodged per property.
Applications for 2021/22 heritage grants close Friday 29 October 2021
- Termite control, site stabilisation, stormwater and subsoil drainage
- Protection of archaeological sites including protection of cemetery sites
- Reinstatement of missing elements to original details, such as fences, verandahs, timber windows, decorative features
- Removal of unsympathetic additions and restoration to original details
- Emergency repairs and keeping buildings watertight pending longer term restoration
- Re-roofing and guttering in authentic materials and profiles
- Repainting in a traditional heritage colour scheme
- Building Code Australia upgrades (fire, services, and access) for ongoing and new uses
- Retrospective works
- New buildings
- Interior alterations, new kitchens and bathrooms
- Routine maintenance such as lawn mowing or gutter cleaning
- New commemorative monuments or works
- The purchase of heritage buildings
- The relocation of buildings or works to relocate buildings
- Private headstones, unless there is no possibility of descendent support
- Floodlighting of heritage buildings
- The purchase of equipment
- Moveable railway heritage items
- Projects where adequate funding is available from other sources, or where the applicant has previously not completed other assisted projects or previous grant offers
Before you apply
First decide what repair or maintenance works the heritage building you own needs to preserve its integrity and significance, and get quotes from a builder or contractor to include with your application.
You are required to include at least one quote for the proposed repair or reconstruction works. It is also recommended that you provide some details on the history of the property including historic photographs where available.
You may discuss your project with our heritage officer prior to submitting your application. For more information, call the Senior Strategic Planner on 02 6643 0271.