Home » Council & Engagement » About Council & Councillors » So you want to be a Councillor?
On Saturday 4 September 2021, 128 local councils in NSW will hold elections.
On Saturday 4 September 2021, 128 local councils in NSW will hold elections. To assist candidates to prepare, Clarence Valley Council is hosting Candidate Briefings. The briefing will assist anyone interested in becoming a Councillor to gain a better understanding of the roles and responsibilities of an elected member of Council.
Join our Candidate Briefing Sessions
Book your spot:
Meet our presenter Jenny Dowell
Jenny Dowell OAM was the directly elected Mayor of Lismore City Council from 2008-2016. Prior to her two four year mayoral terms, Jenny was a Councillor having been first elected in 2004. In 2016 she conducted both candidate briefings, Elected Life and the UTS/LGNSW Executive Certificate for elected members (a UTS & LGNSW program collaboration).
Jenny has been a Mayoral Mentor with LGNSW since her retirement in 2016.
Before her entry into local government, Jenny was a teacher of deaf and hearing impaired children and heavily involved in community organisations’
The briefing aims to enable those interested in becoming a councillor to gain a better understanding of the role and responsibilities held as an elected member of council. The content will include:
• The benefits and importance of Local Government
• Understanding the role of Council and the role of the Councillor
• A typical council structure
• Challenges of the role and how to meet them
• The importance of diverse representation on Council
• Importance of speaking out on key issues and how to do this confidently
• Meeting procedures and rules of debate
• Support available including information and networks
• Introduction to local government jargon and what it means
• Putting it together: making the commitment
External links for information: