What can I do if I have an issue with my neighbour's trees?

Approach your neighbour and try and discuss your concerns. In some cases an owner may refuse to lodge an application for works on a tree/s belonging to a neighbour

Council has no authority over neighbourhood disputes and this is deemed to be a matter between residents.

If you can not resolve a dispute amicably please refer to the following information under the Tree Disputes Between Neighbours legislation found at the Land and Environment Court website.  This legislation was specifically developed to assist with neighbourly disputes concerning trees.

Council also suggests that you contact the Community Justice Centre (CJC) for advice. The CJC provides an alternative to the court system by offering a free mediation service. The CJC can be contacted on 1800 990 777. Failing this it is suggested that you obtain your own legal advice.

Other Websites