Community, operational and crown reserve

Council administers and manages two different types of public land in the Clarence Valley: land owned by Council and land owned by the State (ie. Crown land)

Council is responsible for the administration and management of two different types of public land in the Clarence Valley on which parks and reserves have been established: land owned by Council and land owned by the State (ie. Crown land)

Land owned by Council is public land that has been classified as ‘Community’ or ‘Operational’ land under the Local Government Act 1993.

‘Community’ land is defined for the purposes of the Local Government Act 1993 to be land that is set aside for community use, such as neighbourhood parks and sportsgrounds. Development and use of this land is subject to strict controls set out in the Act such as Community land cannot be sold, or leased or licensed for more than 30 years. In addition to these controls, the Act requires councils to have plans of management for all Community lands. In contrast, ‘Operational’ land comprises land that serves a commercial or operational function (eg. offices, works depot, car park, sewage pump station, etc), or land that is being retained for commercial or strategic reasons. The range of controls that apply to Community land do not apply to the use and management of Operational land.

Crown reserves are owned by the State of New South Wales (NSW) and are managed by Council on behalf of the NSW Government for the benefit of the general public.

Crown reserves managed by Council have been set aside for a particular public purpose. In most cases it is for public recreation. However, Council also manages Crown reserves set aside for purposes such as rubbish and night soil depots and cemeteries.

Council manages Crown reserves either as a Crown Land Manager under the Local Government Act 1993 or as a Devolved Manager under the Crown Land Management Act 2016.

For further information on Park/Reserve Plans of Management, contact Council's Senior Strategic Planner, Dr Danny Parkin on (02) 6643 0231.

Other Websites