Food businesses

All food businesses, fixed or temporary, are required to be registered with Council. 

Fixed premises

Before opening a new food business in the Clarence Valley you'll need to understand your legislative and council requirements, which you can discuss with one of our environmental health officers. You will also likely be required to submit a Development Application with detailed plans and elevations of food preparation and food storage areas.

Once any required DA is approved, you must register your business with us. Annual fees apply. 

Register your food business 

Mobile or temporary premises

Here in the Clarence Valley, we have a range of events and markets throughout the year which provide great opportunities for mobile and temporary food vendors.

But before you sell food from a mobile or temporary food stall or to hawk foods from council streets, you must get Council approval (fees apply) and make sure you comply with the NSW Food Authority's Temporary Events Guidelines. Mobile food vehicles such as caravans and trailers must comply with the NSW Food Authority's Guidelines for Mobile Vending Vehicles.

For more information, get in touch with one of our environmental health officers on 02 6643 0200

Apply for mobile food vendor approval

Food safety training

Most retail food businesses are required to nominate a person to be their Food Safety Supervisor. To be a Food Safety Supervisor, you must complete a course recognised by the NSW Food Authority and obtain a valid Food Safety Supervisor certificate.

Nominate your Food Safety Supervisor 

All other food handlers can access our free I'm Alert Food Safety Training program, which provides interactive training in all areas of food hygiene and safety.