Extracting water from council mains

To extract water from a water main in the Clarence Valley, you'll need council permission. 

If your application is accepted you'll be sent a signed agreement and invoice. Once this is paid, we'll make a standpipe and approval magnets, as well as operating instructions and blank log sheets, available for you to pick up from the front counter of our Grafton or Maclean offices. 

Applicants should allow at least a week between submitting the application and collecting the required items. 

Apply online now

  • Water must only be extracted from approved locations(PDF, 5MB).
  • We will issue a magnet which must be placed on the door of the vehicle used for extracting.
  • In making the application, you authorise Council to provide your contact details to the general public who seek from Council a list of approved water carters. If you'd like to remove your name from the public list, please contact us.

 For enquiries about water carting procedures, call our Water Cycle team on 02 6643 0200.

How to find water and sewage infrastructure

  1. Go to: https://maps.clarence.nsw.gov.au/intramaps910/
  2. Once you are on IntraMaps, tick "Agree" and select "Start IntrapMaps"
  3. Under “Modules” on the left side of the page select “Assets”
  4. Select "Address Search" from the yellow menu bar beneath the map
  5. Enter the address you are interested in
  6. Bring up the legend by selecting the second button labeled "Legend" to see hydrants

Find water and sewage infrastructure in the Clarence Valley