What other charges appear on your rates notice?

Sewer Charges

Any residential property connected to the council sewer main will pay an annual connection charge per tenement (e.g. each separately occupied house, flat, unit etc.).

Any non-residential property connected to the council sewer main will pay an annual connection charge. This connected charge is based on the size of the largest water meter connected to the property. The larger the water meter, the higher the charge due to the property’s increased potential to impact our sewer system during peak demand periods.

Any vacant land within 75 metres of the council sewer main and physically able to connect to Council’s sewer main will be levied an annual availability charge.

Onsite Wastewater Management (OSM)

The management of all OSM systems is council’s responsibility. Properties with an OSM system (e.g. Septic tank, Aerated Wastewater Treatment System, Composting Toilet etc.) will pay an annual charge.

The OSM charges cover:

  • Council’s inspection program for all on-site wastewater systems within the Clarence Valley Council LGA in accordance with all regulations, Standards and guidelines.
  • Administration of the program, including processing applications, approvals, compliance and servicing reports and developing and maintaining the Onsite Sewage Management Databases.
  • Monitoring of problem sites and areas to determine impacts and solutions from current effluent disposal systems.
  • General advice and education we provide to owner(s)

Water Charges

Any property connected to the council water main will pay an annual connection charge per tenement (e.g. each separately occupied house, flat, unit etc.). These connected charges are based on the size of the water meter connected to the property.

Any vacant land within 225 metres via public access road or easement in Council’s favour of the council 100mm or greater water main will be levied an annual availability charge.

Strata Units

Strata units are levied an annual water connection charge per unit. Strata units that do not have individual water meters will be billed for water consumption, which will be forwarded to the owner’s corporation. Those units serviced by a dedicated water meter to each unit will receive an individual water consumption notice in the unit owner’s name.

Domestic Waste

Council must levy a separate annual charge for domestic waste management services. The cost of these services cannot be financed from ordinary rates, and the charge must be sufficient to recover the reasonable costs of providing the services.

Domestic waste management charges provide for garbage, green waste and recycling services (red, green & yellow), where available.

  • An annual availability charge is levied on all properties classified as vacant land within a serviceable area.
  • If you require a new service, bin repairs or if your bins have been stolen, please get in touch with JR Richards on 1800 335 599.
  • After bins have been ordered, they must remain on the property for which they were ordered. They are not to be removed from the property.

Liquid Trade Waste

Trade Waste means all liquid waste other than sewage of a domestic nature.

Grease, solids, chemicals or other contaminants can be present in trade waste. For this reason, trade waste almost always requires pre-treatment before it is discharged into the sewer.

  • An annual charge will be levied on properties that generate liquid trade waste.
  • For further information contact Council’s Trade Waste Officer on 6643 0200.

Waste Management Charge

An annual waste management charge has been introduced on all rateable properties. It will fund the operation network of waste transfer stations, including waste disposal.

Stormwater Management Charge

A Stormwater Management Charge has been introduced to most urban residential and business category properties that will be used for a dedicated Urban Stormwater Management Program.

drainage improvement.jpg

Depending on individual lots, stormwater management does not always mean kerb and guttering on the street. There are many drainage systems or waterways that receive urban stormwater that council maintains.

Typical stormwater management activities include:

stormwater charge .jpg

The charge was introduced to the Local Government Act in 2005 enabling councils to make an annual charge for each parcel of rateable land for which a stormwater management service is provided. While most councils in NSW have implemented the charge, until now Clarence Valley Council has not yet done so.