Starting a business

To support our local industry and help grow our region's economy, we offer a range of services, innovative programs and opportunities to help make your business journey as simple as possible.

Whether you need to lodge a development application, tender, or want to know more about business rates, we are committed to providing the business community with the support and guidance you need.

Development Applications

Development Applications

Development Application (DA) information is available to assist both existing businesses and new investors with getting started and getting it right.

Council's development management unit also offers a pre-lodgement service to all DA applicants.

DMUs are an opportunity to present concepts, identify issues and seek planning and engineering advice before the lodgement of your development application. Call us on 02 6643 0200 to organise a DMU booking.

Once your application's been lodged, you can stay up-to-date with its progress online.


We often call for tenders to carry out works or supply goods and services. Add this page to your favourites so you can always get the latest information on advertised tenders.

Business rates

Rates are levied to provide the community with a diverse range of services, facilities, programs and events. Businesses also benefit directly as we use these funds to manage and maintain enabling infrastructures.

To find out more about business rates, email our rates team at

Support for getting started and staying in business

Providing support for local business and industry is one of the Clarence Valley's many strengths. There are a range of agencies and organisations available to help with advice, information and access to business development programs.

Find our business support agencies 

Our Economic Development Unit is responsible for leading, managing and delivering council strategies and programs to promote sustainable economic development. You can email the team at

We'll respond within 24 hours and follow up with any additional information you need within 5 working days.