Contacting your neighbours

Council does not provide adjoining owners' details, nor do we write to the owners on behalf of the neighbours.

Here are some steps you can take

Step 1.Talk to the tenant or managing agent

If your neighbour's property is rented out, you could try asking the tenant or managing agent of the property for the owner's contact details. You could also ask the tenant or the agent to pass on a letter to the owner asking them to contact you.

Step 2.Do a title search

A title search is a search to find out who owns a property. There are two steps you need to follow:

  1. You need the title reference for the property. You can find this by doing a street address inquiry through NSW Land Registry Services. Enter your neighbour's address in the street address inquiry and you will be told the title reference for their property.
  2. Once you have the title reference, you can do a title search. You can do an online title search through one of the approved information brokers. They do not have a standard fee. You can also do a title search over the counter at NSW Land Registry Services' Queens Square Sydney office for $15.80 (as at 1 July 2022). The title search will list the names of the owner or owners of the property.

Step 3.Search the phone book 

Once you know the name of the owner or owners, you need to find out their contact details. You can look up the name of the owner in the phonebook.

The Whitepages is available online. Not everybody is listed in the phonebook. Some people may not have a landline in their name and some people ask for their numbers to be kept confidential.

Step 4.Lodge a GIPA Formal Access application

Application for Formal Access are to be made by completing the Formal Access application form available online. Completed forms should be submitted to Council accompanied by the GIPA prescribed application fee of $30.

You can write a letter providing further information about why you need to contact your neighbour and attach it to the form. If you cannot get a copy of the form you can just apply by letter. In your letter you should:  

  • include your return postal address
  • state that you are seeking a contribution to the costs of building, fixing or replacing a dividing fence from the owner of the neighbouring property
  • ask for the name and address of the owner of the property neighbouring your property.

An officer will consider your application and decide whether to provide you with the information that you have requested.

Find out more or make a GIPA Formal Access application