Manufactured home estates, caravan parks and camping grounds

Clarence Valley Council is home to numerous manufactured home estates (MHEs), caravan parks and camping grounds. A current approval from Council under section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 is required for these activities.  The approval must specify the type of activity (i.e., MHE, caravan park or primitive camping ground) and must be on display to the public. 

New manufactured home estates

To start a new manufactured home estate, caravan park or camping ground a Development Application (DA) is required.  To make any site alterations including changing the number, size, layout or type, a DA is also needed before undertaking any works, a DA is also required before undertaking any works. For further details about DA processes, please contact Council’s Duty Planner on (02) 6643 0200 (available weekdays between 8:30am - 11am).

What is the difference between Manufactured home estate and a caravan park?

A caravan park and camping grounds provides sites for tourist and residential accommodation in the form of caravans and moveable dwellings such as tents, relocatable homes, campervans, etc.

Manufactured home estates (MHEs) are a contemporary form of medium density housing development comprising land leased communities in which the residents own or rent manufactured homes on dwelling sites leased from the estate.

Important definitions

Manufactured home:

A self-contained dwelling (that is, a dwelling that includes at least one kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living area and that also includes toilet and laundry facilities), being a dwelling:

(a)  that comprises one or more major sections, and

(b)  that is not a motor vehicle, trailer or other registerable vehicle within the meaning of the Road Transport Act 2013, and includes any associated structures that form part of the dwelling.


Moveable dwelling:

(a)  any tent, or any caravan or other van or other portable device (whether on wheels or not), used for human habitation, or

(b)  a manufactured home, or

(c)  any conveyance, structure or thing of a class or description prescribed by the regulations for the purposes of this definition.


Relocatable home:

(a)  a manufactured home, or

(b)  any other moveable dwelling (whether or not self-contained) that comprises one or more major sections, including any associated structure that forms part of the dwelling, but does not include a tent, caravan or campervan or any moveable dwelling that is a vehicle of a kind that is capable of being registered within the meaning of the Road Transport Act 2013.



(a)  is an attachment to a relocatable home or caravan, and

(b)  is used as an extension of the habitable area of the relocatable home or caravan, and

(c)  is capable of being erected or removed within 24 hours.


Associated structure:

(a)  a carport, garage, shed, pergola, verandah or other structure designed to enhance the amenity of a moveable dwelling and attached to or integrated with, or located on the same site as, the dwelling concerned.

Objection to the regulation

In certain circumstances, it is possible to seek variation to the requirements of the Regulation. An experienced consultant can assist with the preparation of a justification report under Section 68, Part F3 of the Local Government Act 1993. If Council supports, the objection will be referred to the Director General of the Department of Local Government for final determination.