Apply, renew or amend an approval to operate

To start a new manufactured home estate, caravan park or primitive camping ground a Development Application (DA) is required. If you already have development consent and are looking to make any site alterations including changing the number, size, layout or type, a DA is also needed before undertaking any works. For further details about DA processes, please contact Council’s Duty Planner on (02) 6643 0200 (available weekdays between 8:30am - 11am).

To apply, renew or amend an approval to operate, follow the steps detailed below.

Step 1 - Check Compliance

The manufactured home estate or caravan park must comply with the Local Government (Manufactured Home Estates, Caravan Parks, Camping Grounds and Moveable Dwellings) Regulation 2021 (LG Regulation).

Council is improving their attention to the compliance of caravan parks, manufactured home estates and camping grounds in accordance with the LG Regulation and development consent/s. A consistent approach to all developments of this type is proposed to improve compliance and the experience that persons have when they occupy these developments in the Clarence Valley Local Government Area.

An approval to operate is typically issued for a 3 year period. To receive a 3 year approval the application must include submission of a current site plan. The Supplied plan must provide sufficient detail to verify compliance with the LG Regulation. 

While an Approval to Operate is issued under Division 3 of the relevant part of Regulation, the premise must still be compliant with all relevant sections of the Regulation. Please refer to the LG Regulation for specific details relating to the Approval to Operate, and plan requirements. 

The compliance checklist(PDF, 282KB) must also be completed and attached as part of the application, to assess compliance of the Caravan Park or Manufactured Home Estate.

If a site plan showing sufficient detail is not submitted with the application to renew the Approval to Operate then Council will require a site survey to be conducted by a registered surveyor. 

Once a current plan providing sufficient detail has been provided, Council will conduct a site inspection. 

If any non-compliances are identified, Council officers will be in contact regarding further requirements. This is a case by case basis and may include audits, programs of work (POW), details of specific compliance actions and anything else deemed necessary to achieve compliance.

Step 2 - Prepare a Community Map

An electronic copy of the community map must be submitted with your application.

A community map is a scale map that accurately shows the:

(a) for a manufactured home estate — the road reserves, community amenities and dwelling sites within the manufactured home estate, and

(b)  for a caravan park or camping ground — the following within the caravan park or camping ground:

(i)  the access roads, community amenities and community buildings,

(ii)  the number, size, location and dimensions of dwelling sites or camp sites,

(iii)  for a dwelling site or camp site — the off-site parking space, if any, designated for use by the occupier of the dwelling site or camp site.

Step 3 - Submit your application

Click here to view form

A copy of the completed compliance checklist(PDF, 282KB) must be attached.

Step 4 - Pay the fees

An invoice will be issued for fees payable for this application.  Payment will be required prior to Council issuing the approval. The applicable fees can be found in Council's adopted fees and charges

Step 5 - What happen next?

Once the application is reviewed and all supported documentation is provided, a site inspection will be arranged.

After the inspection has been completed and any outstanding non-compliance have been resolved, Council will issue an updated approval to operate.