Grafton Regional landfill is one of only a few landfills in the Northern Rivers that can lawfully accept your asbestos waste, and is the only place in the Clarence Valley that will do so. Asbestos will not be accepted at Waste Transfer Stations. It is illegal to dispose of asbestos waste in domestic garbage bins. It is also illegal to recycle, re-use, or illegally dump asbestos products.
Don’t risk a $5000 fine or prosecution, with penalties up to $1 million.
Asbestos disposal bookings
A booking for each load must be lodged with the Grafton Regional Landfill no later than 3pm on a weekday prior to proposed disposal day.
Notifications can be lodged by phone at Clarence Waste Solutions 02 6643 0888. Each booking must include the name, contact phone number, quantity of waste and expected time of arrival.
Landfill asbestos acceptance hours
Asbestos contaminated material will only be accepted from 8am-2pm Monday to Friday. Asbestos disposal will not be permitted on weekends or public holidays, and is subject to weather conditions.
Asbestos disposal fee
Safety and conditions of acceptance
- All asbestos contaminated material including sheeting and soil must be damped down and double wrapped and sealed with 200 micron plastic. The plastic wrapping must not rupture during the unloading process.
- Asbestos sheeting and similar must be wrapped in bundles weighing less that 200kg.
- When using tipping vehicles the maximum load of 200kg parcels is 4 tonne.
- Asbestos contaminated soil may be received in bulk loads subject to the tipping vehicle being lined and sealed with 2 layers of 200 micron plastic. The plastic wrapping must not rupture during the unloading process. Consideration should be given to the quantity of soil being wrapped to ensure that it can be unloaded without rupture.
- A Hi-Ab, crane or other suitable lifting device must be provided and used for unloading asbestos pipe produce with a diameter greater than 200mm and in lengths longer than 1.5 metres.
- Appropriate PPE safety equipment should be used during the removal and disposal process.
- When wetting down the water spray should be light enough to ensure no fibres are dislodged.
- Customers with asbestos in an unacceptable condition may be refused entry and the matter referred to SafeWork NSW.
- All asbestos remains the property of the owner until it is deposited in the hole.
- Grafton Regional Landfill does NOT provide an unloading service.
- The use of asbestos approved ‘hazi bags’ is a more effective handling system especially for larger quantities.
- The use of an outside layer of shade mesh will assist tipper loads of asbestos contaminated material from rupturing during the unloading process.
Asbestos Testing Kits - $25
Clarence Valley residents are encouraged to purchase an asbestos test kit prior to renovating where asbestos is suspected. Test kits are available for purchase from our Customer Service Centres in Prince Street, Grafton and River Street, Maclean.
- Completed asbestos testing kits go directly to Australia Post.
- Both the submission form and the signed declaration must be completed and posted with the samples. Results may not be provided if this is not completed.
- This service is not available to commercial operators and is for Clarence Valley residents and properties only.
- Samples can be taken from a couple of different areas in the house if asbestos is suspected.
If a positive test is found, Asbestos Disposal Kits are available for purchase from our Customer Service Centres.
Asbestos Disposal Kits - $25
The Household Asbestos Disposal Scheme seeks to improve work health and safety by insisting that the guidelines for the safe removal and disposal of bonded asbestos, as recommended by WorkCover NSW and the Environmental Protection Authority, are complied with.
Clarence Valley Council subsidises the cost of asbestos disposal kits which are available at our customer service centres for $25 (kit includes equipment only, not disposal).
The kits are SafeWork NSW approved and contain the following items:
- 2 P2 disposable mask
- 2 disposable overalls
- 2 disposable shoe covers
- 2 pairs of disposable gloves
- 1 spray bottle
- 1 roll of heavy-duty duct tape
- 1 roll of barrier tape
- 2 heavy duty asbestos disposal bags (suitable for disposal of up to 10m2)
- Zip ties
Asbestos waste will be accepted at the Grafton Regional Landfill, but conditions apply. Please contact the landfill on 6643 0888 at least 24 hours before your arrival, as specific handling, transportation and quantity requirements will apply.