Plan and prepare your home
Do you know what you would do if a bushfire or flood was threatening your home? Creating a plan with your family is one of the best ways to make sure you'll be ready for natural disasters.
It's time to get ready, Clarence Valley.
Know your risk
The Clarence Valley is prone to floods, severe storms, bushfires, heatwaves and drought. Think about the area you live in and the types of natural hazards that could affect you.
Make a plan
Natural disasters can happen with little or no warning, so it's important to sit down and talk with your family about what you'll do if one affects your area. Now is the time to make important decisions such as when to leave, what to take and what to do with animals. Prepare an emergency kit, create a fire plan and complete a house emergency plan so you'll be ready for all situations.
Get your home ready
Some of the best ways to prepare your home for an emergency include:
- keeping on top of general home maintenance
- trimming overhanging trees and branches, removing dead and dry vegetation from around the house
- cleaning out gutters and downpipes
- securing loose items in your yard or balcony
- checking the roof is in good condition and your smoke alarms are working
- making sure your home and contents insurance policy is up-to-date and covers you for floods, severe storms and bushfires.
Find out how to prepare and what to do if there is a disaster in your area. Connect with NSW emergency services (and check the Clarence Valley Disaster Dashboard).
Look out for each other
Share important information with your family, friends, neighbours and those who may need assistance.